Thursday 8 May 2014

Why I Must Become A Catechist

The Tuesday night scripture study session at our parish is a relatively new phenomenon and a welcome one. Generally, they are led by our priest who is lovely, but who is relatively new and of whom we are still rather in awe. However, in his absence yesterday evening our gregarious and more familiar deacon took the helm and the other participants felt slightly freer to enter the discussion as a result.

In one way, it was I relished having a time for openly talking of our faith. In another, it was utterly devastating...

I'm used to hearing Church teachings misunderstood, denigrated and maligned by some of my atheist, protestant and even lapsed Catholic associates, but this was a group of practising Catholics; many of whom attend daily Mass and some of whom have been Catechists for our younger parishioners. In other words, not the people I would have thought to have heard describing core teachings of our Church as "too harsh", "unfair", and "needing to update". Some - including the deacon - were even unhappy with the things that Christ had said in the portion of the gospel we had just read and were anxious to try to make them sound less severe; requiring less of a radical commitment to live our lives for God; and were determined not to see the dire penalties for those who refuse to do so. It was utterly heartbreaking to hear.


Afterwards, kneeling at the foot of the altar in the dark and empty church, I begged for the sanctification of the funny, ramshackle and generally lovely bunch of people who make up this parish. Though my words were incoherent and ineloquent, any confusion over what my future plans should be seemed to evaporate. Rather than merely entertaining a feeling that I would like to study the diploma in catechesis, I instead knew I must become a catechist. I knew I might be one of only one or two orthodox Catholic voices some of our children and young people ever get to hear during these formative years; and though that is a somewhat intimidating and disheartening thought, it is also one that - by the grace of God - serves to drive me forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment